3.04.2011

you can take it with you

As much as I would like to use this blog to rail and rage against the frigid weather that we've been plagued with, I don't need to make my already bad mood any worse. Besides, spring is on it's way, right? RIGHT?

I received a notice on my Facebook page earlier today about the Handmade Mafia starting up again, mid-March. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, the Handmade Mafia is a collective of Edmonton craftsters and designers who get together down at Orange Hall to sell their wares. They fall into the same category as Royal Bison and Make It!, but luckily, hold events more frequently.

It had never occured to me how this city seems to sleep during the winter months. Every activity literally goes into hibernation mode: handmade mafia, bike trails, patios...everything. Snow is the great equalizer, the great tranquilizer. I can't bring myself to look outside anymore at the rooftops covered in snow, and yet, it give me comfort to know that under the packed powder lies thousands of little cocoons of action, waiting to be opened up after the thaw.

1 comment:

  1. I like your statement about snow being the tranquilizer of the city. There is definitely some truth to that. I think pessimism about the winter adds to people's lack of awareness of some of the cool things Edmonton has to offer. There are tons of interesting niche groups and organizations in this city that people seem alarmingly unaware of and I can't help but think that the lack of movement for 8 months of the year attributes to that!

    ReplyDelete